9/25/2010

Recipe - Applesauce Banana Bread

Applesauce Banana Bread
So I am a banana snob.  In other words, I only like them when they are perfectly ripe.  As soon as they get a bit overripe I don't like to eat them.  I hate to throw them out so I toss them, peel and all, into the freezer.  Once the freezer is filled to capacity of them, I thaw them out, squeeze the banana out of the peels and re-freeze them in 4-cup portions in a zip-lock bag for later use  Once October rolls around, I make a huge batch of banana breads to pass out to friends and neighbors.  This recipe is perfect because it makes 3 loaves in the disposable 8x4 pans.  I also like this one because it uses applesauce instead of oil or butter so I don't feel nearly as guilty eating it.

Frozen bananas "chillin" in the freezer
4-Cup packets of frozen banana
4 cups ripe mashed bananas
2 cups sugar
1 cup applesauce
4 eggs
2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups flour

In a mixer, add the bananas, sugar, applesauce and eggs and beat well. Beat in the baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla, then gradually beat in the flour, mixing thoroughly. Pour into a 8 x 4-inch loaf pan that has been coated with nonstick spray.

Bake at 350°F for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
Makes 3 8x4  loaves.

No comments: