10/17/2011

Recipe - Pancake Birthday Cake

Pancake Birthday Cake
Ok, this is a fun cake that I made for my husband's birthday.  He is obsessed with pancakes so I thought, why not!  I got the idea from a Rachael Ray magazine.  All you do is make pancakes from cake batter.  You can use boxed or scratch.  Just make the batter like you normally would and make pancakes out of it.  I used 2 boxes of yellow cake mix to make ten 10-inch pan"cakes".  I used a large electric skillet and kept the temperature between 300 and 350 degrees.  The only trick is in the flipping!  I had to use two spatulas and was very careful!  As each one came off the skillet, I set them on parchment over a cooling rack.  Then I stacked each one with just a little bit of vanilla frosting in between so they would stay stacked when I cut the slices.  Over the top I poured a vanilla glaze by Duncan Heinz and covered it with sprinkles.  It took about 2 hours to assemble but it was a hit!

No comments: